About Newlands’ Pavilion
- The pavilion was built in 1896 by architect William Newlands.
- Newlands’ Pavilion one of only a few park buildings in this style of architecture in
- The pavilion has a wide staircase centre front, rising to an 18 by 40 ft. platform on a
foundation which is covered with shingles. Turned balusters and a simple handrail
enclose the platform. Square concrete plinths are bases for a series of slender,
square., wooden columns which are chambered above the handrail and rise to
simple capitals supporting a wide wooden cornice with oval and round cut-outs.
- The roof is a cross gable with wave cresting on the ridges. The longer ridge is
hipped at the ends and has gable in-fill of latticework and spindles. The shorter and
slightly lower ridge has a turned finial at each end and the gable in-fill is latticework
in a moulded surround. The roof is covered with cedar shingles and has two
decorative bands of green rounded shingles. At the cross ridge is a flagpole.
- Newlands' Pavilion fell into disuse as a bandstand in 1967, when the Confederation Park
stage was built in front of Kingston City Hall, a few blocks away.
- Newlands’ Pavilion was restored in 1979 by architect Lily Inglis with the assistance
of many supporters, including the Ontario Heritage Foundation, the Corporation of
the City of Kingston, Alcan Canada Products Limited, Aluminum Company of
Canada Limited research and development centre, CKWS-Television, CKWS-AM,
CFMK-FM, Frontenac Historic Foundation, James Richardson & Sons Ltd., and
many community minded individuals.
- For the past two decades, Newlands’ Pavilion has enjoyed a state of benign neglect
resulting in substantial damage – a whole section of railing completely broken out of
the rear face of the building, many surfaces in dire need of painting, et cetera.